21 November 2019
MCG launches IRIS, a new R&D project in the train interior systems industry
The vision of the future of the railway industry. IRIS – Innovative Railway Interior Systems is the new Research & Development project that MCG is developing in the area of train and bus interior systems.
The main objective of the IRIS project is to design, develop and facilitate the future manufacture of various train interior subsystems. To this end, MCG, through the MCG transportation business division, is the leader of a consortium also composed of Famopol, Cablotec, Wiseware and Almadesign, supported by Itecons as a research center.
To meet the new challenges that rail operators will face in the future, the project aims to design and develop a prototype set for four complementary train interior subsystems: side panels, roof panels, HVAC ducts and luggage racks.
These solutions will be designed and built using a research strategy entirely focused on their experimental and exploratory development, thinking of a modular architecture that facilitates assembly on OEM lines. The main objectives are:
- Reduce the cost of operation;
- Improve passenger comfort;
- Increase the attractiveness and competitiveness of the system.
The new interior systems will have to feature an innovative and flexible design that ensures its attractiveness to train manufacturers and complements the latest developments in the sector in Portugal, which have focused on seat and floor systems.
Other important MCG R&D projects in this area:
Recent MCG transportation projects:
- MCG Transportation guarantees the production of a new train heated floor project
- MCG begins series production of a new train component project
- MCG guarantees TGV train floor development and production project
- MCG confirms serial production of Aptis electric bus floor system